Languages

Seth

Languages  

751 members have voted

1. 1. What is your native tongue or most fluent language?

• Mandarin Chinese
    • Spanish.
    • English
    • Hindi
    • Arabic
    • Portuguese
    • Bengali
    • Russian
    • Japanese
    • Punjabi
    • German
    • Javanese
    • Wu
    • Malay/Indonesian
    • Telugu
    • Vietnamese
    • Korean
    • French
    • Marathi
    • Tamil

I am curious as to what people's native or most fluent language is, so that we can better address people with foreign tongues such as adding new forum categories and working on recruiting translation teams where need be. Translation is the last stage of development, so this poll will remain open for a long time.   I'm using Wikipedia to determine the most spoken languages, so your language may be left out and will only contain the top 20.

English shouldn't even be up there as it's mandatory to have.. I would say the second most populated language for gaming would be Spanish/Portuguese..

I put English up there cause people may feel left out, and the fact that we can see the percent difference between English vs. other languages.
  • Like 1

How difficult is it to implement an in-game translator option for quests and dialogue? If its extremely difficult then just stick with English. Its the easiest language to learn anyway.

English has so may rules and exceptions, I believe it is one of the hardest to learn. We could add in an in-game translator tool, but that reminds me of a wiki sort of. People could cause damage to the game as well...
  • Like 1

English has so may rules and exceptions, I believe it is one of the hardest to learn. We could add in an in-game translator tool, but that reminds me of a wiki sort of. People could cause damage to the game as well...

Not unless its only accessible to a team of translators, similar to what you already have planned. But the main languages you will need are Spanish and English. If the member manages to create an account, then surely that's all the required skills he will need to play the game. Most people learn English faster by reading it, so it would be beneficial to those that can't speak English fluently, instead of segregating our community.

My native language is aramic language but it's not up there. =/

1. Aramic (My parents native language. We still use it at home)

2. Arabic

3. Swedish (my native language - born in Sweden. I don't claim to be a swede just for that reason.)

4. English

5. German

~~

6. Spanish 

7. Italian

Studied both of them but I am starting to forget both of them because I have not used them in like 6-8 years now.

~~

8. Turkish

9. Japanese

I just understand when I hear ppl talk (just part of it)

• Like 1

I'd say Portuguese or Spanish would be a good option. The reason for that is because throughout the years of my experience, I've noticed many players who didn't speak English that well. So I believe we could provide them a proper assistance. Surely there are quite some Dutch or German players around here, but most of them seem to have a good grasp of the English language. :)

Not unless its only accessible to a team of translators, similar to what you already have planned. But the main languages you will need are Spanish and English. If the member manages to create an account, then surely that's all the required skills he will need to play the game. Most people learn English faster by reading it, so it would be beneficial to those that can't speak English fluently, instead of segregating our community.

I've seen a ton of Spanish people the last few months, a couple Spanish&English speaking devs or mods would be helpful. 

I've made posts about this before, but if there was ever a demographic large enough to cater to - with regard to translation from English - it would be Brazilians (Portuguese). More than any other group globally, I think they're the most likely not only to flock to an online Naruto-based game, but also the most likely to not be fluent in English.

• Like 3