Bullying in Nin

Robin

-snip-

This forum post was not created because of Zeke's situation. I've been dealing with historic cases of bullying within this community and Zeke was one of the many people who were investigated over it. His reaction to being warned and his crusade against the administration are both completely separate and being handled as their own thing.

I created this topic because I've started taking much harsher steps in to quashing any and all bullying on this forum. It's a warning to everyone that this kind of behaviour is not acceptable, no matter who you are.

The idea that I'm creating some drama over how people treat me on this forum is simply wrong. I couldn't care less about how people treat me. There are rules in place to protect me against personal attacks, and I have the power to deal with these situations. Other people, however, do not. That's why I'm reminding people that the administration is on their side. They should not feel like they're unwelcome here, no matter who is making them feel that way.

As for the moderator situation, we have enough staff to deal with this community. Throwing more people in to the role is not going to do anything to help. What we need, however, is people to realise that it's our job to chase up things which are reported to us. We're not here to read everything posted on the forum. If that was the case we'd just run everyone through a moderation queue.

Curious, what if the situation is life threatening and they have all information needed to come into your house and do whatever they threatened to do(Sorry if I use a poor choice of example), but how will banning them solve the issue? Matters like these would be handled by the police themselves and i'm not saying you shouldn't get involved, but if anything gets too out of hand that you can't control it you're better off taking manners like these to the police. Not trying to enforce a mindset on how things should be handled though.

In another case if Person A: [says something to tick a person off] Person B:[starts saying bad things back telling them to back off, but in a threatening order] who's at fault? The one who started it or the one who said something bad back and had a threat(not a life threat just an average threat)- This case is the one I see regularly at the forum.

If anything things are being taken way too strictly on the forum and I advised everyone to loosen up on situation, because the community is starting to be 'unattractive' and i'm not specifically blaming administrators on how they run things, but on how the community acts in return.. I've had two of my good friends quit the community, one quit because of the attitude of this community and how they disrespected him when he asked a simple question and the second quit because of all the negativity being shown by one another. 

I understand your trying to run everything smoothly and in a nice manner, but everything is starting to be handled meticulously in a severe manner.

Curious, what if the situation is life threatening and they have all information needed to come into your house and do whatever they threatened to do(Sorry if I use a poor choice of example), but how will banning them solve the issue? Matters like these would be handled by the police themselves and i'm not saying you shouldn't get involved, but if anything gets too out of hand that you can't control it you're better off taking manners like these to the police. Not trying to enforce a mindset on how things should be handled though.

In another case if Person A: [says something to tick a person off] Person B:[starts saying bad things back telling them to back off, but in a threatening order] who's at fault? The one who started it or the one who said something bad back and had a threat(not a life threat just an average threat)- This case is the one I see regularly at the forum.

I've had someone get my personal information and try and coerce me by posting my family's address on here. I've also had similar things happen in previous forums I've administrated.

Banning them solved it.

Bullying in a place like this will very, very rarely spread out in to real life. If bullying occurs outside of the forum then you're entirely right and there is little I can do about it. On this forum, however, I can.

As for your hypothetical situation, we deal with these on a case-by-case basis. Bullying is a problem, but is not widespread. People having an argument like that is not bullying.

If anything things are being taken way too strictly on the forum and I advised everyone to loosen up on situation, because the community is starting to be 'unattractive' and i'm not specifically blaming administrators on how they run things, but on how the community acts in return.. I've had two of my good friends quit the community, one quit because of the attitude of this community and how they disrespected him when he asked a simple question and the second quit because of all the negativity being shown by one another. 

I understand your trying to run everything smoothly and in a nice manner, but everything is starting to be handled meticulously in a severe manner.

We're not strict at all. You've seen how I administrate this forum. I treat people like adults and let things go naturally. What I'm discussing in this thread is not something that happens frequently, and is often hidden from everyone else. And let's not forget that most of our work is carried out silently. We hide abusive content, deal with members privately and generally try not to cause drama.

Being abusive to people asking questions is certainly a problem, and something which will not be tolerated. In the future please report these events rather than giving in to apathy. By letting this behaviour take place you're contributing to this image.

• Like 1

Thanks for this thread Robin but actually, thinking about it twice, there's still a small group of individuals on here (not mentioning they manage to get themselves unbanned instantly) that harasses people on here including mock statuses, shout-box harassment, and PMs from time to time. 

Hopefully, the group gets noticed and something is done about their abusive and bullying events.

@boxshark

I sincerely feel bad for you, not because of something you did though. I hope that the life lessons you have yet to learn, and personal faults that you need to tackle are done sooner than later. Whoever deleted/hid my previous post should feel ashamed for hindering your growth as a person.

Heated topic. My two cents, man up. Bullying is only bullying if you're actually harmed from it. Someone you've never met and likely never will calling you a bad word over the internet is hardly something to bother yourself with. You won't meet him, he will likely never see your face, and he will never lay a physical hand on you. You will probably never even hear his voice. That being said, if cyber bullying that never evolves past that point actually bothers you, report it to the administrators, or moderators or whatever. But like I said, man up.

On another note, just curious. A lot of administrators recently. What exactly do the new guys contribute?

• Like 1

I think it's great that Robin wants Ninonline to be free of cyber-bullying. But that doesn't matter because his perception of cyber-bullying is flawed. Well, to be more accurate, the path he's taking is just like no-tolerance policies that schools tend to have. A no-tolerance policy allows those who use them, to control what happens in an event that is even remotely affiliated with the no-policy subject.

Here is an example of what I mean.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/10/01/8-year-old-florida-boy-suspended-for-making-gun-shape-with-fingers-it-was-a-game/

So where am I going with this, well it's simple. First, let's examine the quote that Robin used.

Examples of what constitutes cyberbullying include communications that seek to intimidate, control, manipulate, put down, falsely discredit, or humiliate the recipient. The actions are deliberate, repeated, and hostile behavior intended to harm another. Cyberbullying has been defined by The National Crime Prevention Council: “When the Internet, cell phones or other devices are used to send or post text or images intended to hurt or embarrass another person."

Look at all of those things that constitutes being a cyber bully. Any one of those, no matter how insignificant, would give Robin that self-righteous desire to feel like he's our protector, our internet batman of the night, deleting and hiding posts, statuses, and messages in the shadows. If anyone were to simply say "You're an idiot" regardless of context, he can simply do as he pleases and justify it as being lord protector-sama. I know this because my previous post to Boxshark wasn't hostile, intimidating, controlling, manipulating, a put down, falsely discrediting him, nor attempting to humiliate him. In fact, I said in the post if Boxshark asked or told me to drop the subject, I would have. At this point, Robin can take anything anyone says that simply might make someone feel bad and call it bullying. News flash,

By ignoring bullying you're letting it continue.

If it was bullying, if I was being an asshat, then where is my PM? Where is the message in my inbox telling me to stop being an asshat to Boxshark? It's probably because I wasn't. By ignoring bullying you're letting it continue, aren't you? Could it be that you just thought to yourself "Oh, I don't like what he's saying so I'm just going to remove it".

This will apply to everyone and everything on Ninonline. The slightest thing that Robin doesn't like will simply go poof, including this post of mine. Now I leave this little argument with a couple snippets of Robin's shoutbox history.

Guest (12 November 2013 - 02:14 PM) I swear to God, anyone who logs that much time on an online forum has serious fucking issues. Guest

(12 November 2013 - 02:13 PM) He's discrediting his name and wasting my fucking time.

It's not bullying if you're talking shit about someone after they're banned, guys.

Guest (11 November 2013 - 12:30 PM) @ Calm it.

control

Guest (11 November 2013 - 12:26 PM) If you make a topic about moderation on this forum, do so without turning it in to a bitching session because you got a warning.

control

Guest (08 November 2013 - 04:19 PM) Haha jk. How you doing man? Guest (08 November 2013 - 04:19 PM) @Izuna Oh God, you're still here!?

humiliate

Guest (22 October 2013 - 08:37 AM) @Hermit Fuck you man! I have a naturally small frame. xD

put down

Some of those insignificant quotes can be taken down on a whim with this new regime change had they been said by someone else.

• Like 4

Look at all of those things that constitutes being a cyber bully. Any one of those, no matter how insignificant, would give Robin that self-righteous desire to feel like he's our protector, our internet batman of the night, deleting and hiding posts, statuses, and messages in the shadows. If anyone were to simply say "You're an idiot" regardless of context, he can simply do as he pleases and justify it as being lord protector-sama. I know this because my previous post to Boxshark wasn't hostile, intimidating, controlling, manipulating, a put down, falsely discrediting him, nor attempting to humiliate him. In fact, I said in the post if Boxshark asked or told me to drop the subject, I would have. At this point, Robin can take anything anyone says that simply might make someone feel bad and call it bullying. News flash If it was bullying, if I was being an asshat, then where is my PM? Where is the message in my inbox telling me to stop being an asshat to Boxshark? It's probably because I wasn't. By ignoring bullying you're letting it continue, aren't you? Could it be that you just thought to yourself "Oh, I don't like what he's saying so I'm just going to remove it".

... what? Your original post broke just about every single rule there is. Regardless of our stance on bullying that post would have been removed.

ITT: mods butt hurt when they're wrong. 8)

Wrong about what? Bullying has always been against the rules, I'm simply letting people know that we're going to be cracking down on it more. If you want to be treated like an adult and consulted on these matters try and act like you earn it instead of devolving in bullshit internet memes. 

This seems like sensitivity running wild. Would calling someone on their bullshit constitute as bullying? Cause I've probably bullied 77% of GOA

"It's like they declared war on testicles"

-Frank Gallagher

Have some tact and understand that questions on social interactions are not that black and white.

... what? Your original post broke just about every single rule there is. Regardless of our stance on bullying that post would have been removed.

You're making an argument without providing a quote or explanation. I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't take me for a simpleton. Exactly what rule was my previous status breaking by the way? I don't remember naming anyone directly, and the worst of it was having the word pussy, oh goodness.

Have some tact

That's where you're mistaken. This is the forum of a pvp game, you can't seriously expect everyone is going to talk to and treat each other like their mother. That kind of thinking will just lead to a whole lot of people banned and even more people making like breadtrucks and hauling buns out of here. I doubt anyone on here has been actually BULLIED. Bullied as in made them feel like shit and hate their life. not just getting them mad or annoying them. Trolling may be a problem, but it's not bullying, so don't try to rack up sympathy points by bringing up the b-word to justify bans.

• Like 1

You're making an argument without providing a quote or explanation. I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't take me for a simpleton. Exactly what rule was my previous status breaking by the way? I don't remember naming anyone directly, and the worst of it was having the word pussy, oh goodness.

I think you're confused on how this works. Your post was hidden by a member of staff because they believed it was inappropriate and breaking the rules set out by Rory and I. If you feel this post was wrongly hidden then please get in touch with a moderator to get it reviewed. If you disagree with the rules we set out, however, I can't really help you.

ITT: mods butt hurt when they're wrong.  8)

The community doesn't seem to agree with anything, regardless if we're right or not. It's of little importance after seeing the response of people when you actually listen. People will create drama no matter what we do, so we're better off just removing the dramatizes to create a much more pleasant experience for everyone else. That's what happened to Zeke, he was creating drama and wouldn't listen when he was warned. The only way to deal with these types of people is to remove them.

*sigh*

None of the posts in this topic are bullying. 

None of the recent threads have had bullying in them. 

There is no bullying going on in the shoutbox right now.

This thread was created over historic cases which have recently been dealt with.

I am not saying that everyone who calls someone a faggot is going to get instantly banned. I'm talking specifically about gang mentality and brutal, systematic abuse. None of you have any idea exactly what this thread is dealing with because all instances reported were through PMs.

None of you who have posted in this thread understand the situations we're discussing, and you're instead latching on to pre-conceived notions and bullshit assumptions. None of you in this thread have been reported for bullying. None of you have had any warnings related to bullying. Stop trying to act the victim on something which doesn't even effect you.

I'm locking this thread as there has been absolutely no discussion on the actual topic, rather 3 pages of people arguing semantics over the wording.