Shirokata needs a buff, here's why.

Hao

Question

TL;DR:
Shirokata 
is very underwhelming for its level/STR requirement, and its unique effect is actually a nerf, read below why.
This is coming from someone who has all the swords besides bone/blood, and I've tried each out for several days.

1.  Shirokata is the worst compared to its sister swords.
Dark Bandit Blade is literally same STR req and level req as Shirokata, but strictly better damage. 

Even Maramusa is better to use than Shirokata. Muramasa requires 10 less levels, and 20 less STR. And it actually gives the user +1 to STR.
Muramasa's requirements are wayyy lower than Shirokata's, and its base damage is only lower than Shirokata's by... 3. 
By requiring 20 less STR, you pave way for more diverse builds with Maramusa. Shirokata doesn't live up to the 100 STR req.

I don't think I need to prove how good Religious Katana is. The base damage is lower than the aforementioned 3 swords, but the attack speed more than makes up for it. So much so, that if 2 people held down Z against each other, Religious wielder would beat the Shirokata/Bandit/Muramasa wielder easily.

It's gotten to the point where you just buy and keep Religious for all your levels, until your level/STR is high enough for Bone Sword/Blood Katana later on. The intermediate swords are bad, and Shirokata is the worst between them.

Don't like words, and want raw numbers?
(The higher the better)

Damage of the sword per STR required:
Religious Katana: 0.37
Muramasa: 0.375
Shirokata: 0.33 (lowest)
Bandit blade: 0.35
Crystal Sword: 0.35
Blood Katana: 0.41

2.  Its unique effect is negligible.
The Wiki says 12% chakra per 40 seconds. Okay... 40 seconds is a long time but okay, it's at least something I guess.
Except it only actually regens flat 10 chakra, not 12%. If it was 12% regen, and you had 300 chakra, you'd regen 36 chakra. A big difference.
Even if it was 12%, 40 seconds is way too long for frequency. It should be 4% chakra per 10 seconds, so it's more vivid and applicable. 

3.  It's bugged; making the unique effect actually a nerf.
3.1   First bug, the passive Chakra Regen, every now and then, removes itself for no reason. Unequiping and re-equiping Shirokata enables the regen again, but it shouldn't turn off ever. No one wants to not have chakra regen. Just keep it on forever.

3.2   Second bug, when the regen happens, there's a pop-up text +10 that appears above your character when you get the chakra. 
Except... that pop up also weirdly appears when you're already full chakra, when it shouldn't. This exposes you if you're hiding behind a tree preparing an ambush, because the pop up appears over trees, objects, everything, giving away your position. 
The only reason I even walk around with this sword is because I like the visuals of it.

4.  Suggestions on how to buff it.
I always believe that balancing is about keeping in mind item identity over item standardization. (I'll prolly make a post about this later).
Buffing Shirokata's damage or attack speed is not it, and would just make it like other swords. (Although, I do think a slight buff to attack speed is necessary)

Each sword has its own identity, and Shirokata's, I guess, is the Chakra Regen passive. 
My suggestion is to do the following:

- To make the regen 4% chakra every 10 seconds. That'd be 10 chakra if you had 250 total chakra (which is what WM users generally go).
- To lower the STR req. STR req should be 85 at most. Currently, you're telling me this sword requires 100 STR, when, just with 10 more STR, you arrive at Bone/Blood, which are miles better? If Shirokata's damage is similar to Muramasa (33 vs 30), the STR req should be similar to Muramasa's (80), not 100. If you don't want to reduce its STR req, then buff its damage to match that of Blood Katana/Kyuketsuki (Crystal).

If you like this post, do not give it reacts. Just upvote the post itself, so Rory can see.

• Like 17

Shirokata doesn't need a buff, it is a level 40 "Rare" sword. It gives up some damage in order to give chakra regen and a sword of that level shouldn't be regening too much. Neither should it's damage be too high when it has that effect. 

Look at Bandit Blade which is the same STR requirement as the Shirokata. It only has 2 extra base damage which is practically negligible and I am pretty sure it is a tiny bit slower than the Shirokata. All that while being of the "Unique" rarity. 

If you ask me if there is any sword which could use a slight buff it is the Bandit Blade as it has higher rarity than the Shirokata and is the only sword in the game which has the "Unique" rarity while there is nothing really unique about it. You are better off using the Shirokata for the chakra regen, most people go for the Bandit Blade just cause it looks cooler. 

19 hours ago, Yamikami said:

Shirokata doesn't need a buff, it is a level 40 "Rare" sword. It gives up some damage in order to give chakra regen and a sword of that level shouldn't be regening too much. Neither should it's damage be too high when it has that effect. 

Look at Bandit Blade which is the same STR requirement as the Shirokata. It only has 2 extra base damage which is practically negligible and I am pretty sure it is a tiny bit slower than the Shirokata. All that while being of the "Unique" rarity. 

If you ask me if there is any sword which could use a slight buff it is the Bandit Blade as it has higher rarity than the Shirokata and is the only sword in the game which has the "Unique" rarity while there is nothing really unique about it. You are better off using the Shirokata for the chakra regen, most people go for the Bandit Blade just cause it looks cooler. 

Judging swords by their rarity? Weird take. So a sword can be poorly designed but have a poor rarity so it's okay? Weird, cause you'd never know Shiro's rarity is less than Bandit's or Religious's when it costs either the same or more than them to buy. 

Also, you're acting like the chakra regen passive is not negligible? You regen 10 chakra every 40 seconds. 
If you ever wanted to afk with no chakra, it'd take 17 minutes to get full chakra, and that's if you only had 250 chakra. Not to mention it's a nerf to your tactics when you're full chakra. If this sword is to have low damage in exchange for this passive, then make it a worthwhile passive. 

Bandit blade isn't a much better sword, and also deserves a slight buff, but Shirokata is in a worse state than Bandit. The 2 damage is more beneficial than the chakra regen.
For proper balance, bandit blade could receive 1-2 extra base damage and Shiro's passive could be made reasonable. 

• Like 1